Before You Arrive in Canada

Step 1: The first thing you must do is contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to determine whether you are eligible for migration to Canada. There is specific criteria for obtaining immigration status in Canada that is beyond the control of any regulatory body. Only CIC has the authority to determine what professions are “in need” at any given time.

Step 2: As mentioned under Registration Requirements, internationally trained candidates must complete a qualifying program or the NDEB Equivalency Process. We strongly advise you take advantage of the information and material available on the NDEB website - – to try and assess your ability to meet the requirement. The site includes a self-assessment tool, links to review courses that may be available, insight and preparation into the Equivalency Process, reference texts, information on exam contents and sample questions, and much more.

If you are eligible for the Equivalency Process then depending on your personal circumstances and financial situation you may be able to fly to Canada, take the applicable assessment and fly home. This would allow you to maintain a practice and source of income while attempting to meet the qualification assessments. If it proves necessary for you to attend one of the two-year advanced standing programs then obviously those are full-time, classroom situations where you will have to be in Canada, the United States, Australia, New Zealand or Ireland.

If you are at a point where migrating is a certainty, then you need to obtain a completed Certificate of Standing, as listed above, or letter of standing from everywhere you’ve practiced in the world. If you are reviewing this information from outside of Canada, we recommend you have our Certificate of Standing form, or your country’s equivalent, completed by the appropriate governing authority in your country of origin before immigrating to Canada.

Once you, the applicant, have met all the requirements, you may apply for registration from any location. Refer to the section on providing certified documents for a list of what you will need. All applications are treated in the same manner and must meet the requirements specified in this document.

If you are not fluent in English or French, it is a good idea to improve your English or French by taking language courses before arriving in Canada and to take a recognized language test such as TOEFL or IELTS